Fresno City College Old Administration Building
Fresno, CA | historic | community/education
The rehabilitation of the Old Administration Building (OAB) returns to life an important visual and cultural icon, one that many residents of the community remember from their school days.
Designed by California State Architect George MacDougall and built in 1916, OAB was the first permanent structure on the Fresno State Normal School Campus and later Fresno City College, California’s first community college. In 1974, OAB was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, but it closed only two years later due to new seismic regulations. The renovation brought the facility back to its original glory, hiding virtually all structural work behind original or replicated interior finishes. The hand-crafted Roman brick was cleaned and original materials, such as the clay roof tiles, decorative wood eaves, and wood windows, were restored. ELS also refurbished the interiors, keeping the original layout in more than 90% of the structure. As a result of the renovation, Fresno City College has been able to expand academic courses, performing arts education, and student services, revitalizing the heart of the campus.
SCUP/AIA-CAE Excellence in Architecture Award
National Trust for Historic Preservation Honor Award
AIA California Council Merit Award
AIA San Francisco Merit Award
AIA East Bay Merit Award
California Preservation Foundation Design Award
California Community College Facility Coalition Award of Excellence
State Center Community College District