Mills College Celebrates Grand Reopening of Lisser Hall
by: Diana Banh | September 29, 2018
On September 28, 2018, Mills celebrated the grand reopening of Lisser Hall after a major, year-long renovation.
The grand reopening celebration coincided with Mills College’s Convocation, a fall tradition at the college that marks the formal beginning of the new academic year.
Lisser Hall is a 300-seat, 16,000-square foot theater located at the heart of the Mills College campus. Designed in 1901 by GW Percy and Willis Polk, the building was completely remodeled in 1972 by Walter Ratcliff, Jr. to accommodate a new theater department. Alumnae, donors, students, and staff joined President Elizabeth Hillman in the Marilyn McArthur Holland ’45 Performance Theater for celebratory remarks and student dance performances.
ELS’ renovation, which will be completed by the end of the year, brings Lisser Hall back to the building’s original intent by creating a flexible, fully accessible, state-of-the-art performance and educational space. It will remain home to the Mills College Dance Department while also serving as an interdisciplinary center, hosting a wide range of lectures, readings, performances, projects, conferences, and community events.