Portland’5 Centers for the Arts
Recognized as one of the top performing art centers in the country, the Portland’5 Centers for the Arts, previously named the Portland Center for the Performing Arts, includes a new 900-seat theater, an experimental 450-seat black-box theater, and the conversion of the historic Portland Theatre into the 2,700-seat Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall. Located on two downtown blocks, a plaza connects all lobbies. In joint venture with two other architectural firms for the project, ELS was solely responsible for the adaptive reuse of the 1928 Portland Theatre into the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, the new home for the Oregon Symphony and touring Broadway shows. ELS has recently been selected to commence design of a significant expansion to the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall and the transformation of Main Street into a cultural and pedestrian plaza.
Awards and Publications:
US Institute for Theatre Technology Honor Awards, 1994, AIA, East Bay Chapter Honor Award, 1990, Oregon Regional Historical Society Award for Contextual Harmony with Historical Buildings, 1988, Winningstad and Intermediate Theaters AIA, Portland Chapter Award of Excellence, 1987, Progressive Architecture Magazine Design Citation, 1984, Downtown Development Handbook, 1992, Time, December 12, 1988, Progressive Architecture, February 1988, Progressive Architecture, January 1984, Architecture California, May/June 1983